Pulaski County’s Fallen

In July 2007, a dedication ceremony was held at our new memorial to honor the fallen deputies of the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office. This memorial is located in front of the PCSO Administration Building and bears the names and dates of death of the three deputies who paid the ultimate price for our safety. Those Deputies were:

Deputy Wayne Martin Bryant Jr.

Date of Incident: 03-18-1988

Age at Death: 23

Deputy Bryant was shot and killed while responding to a disturbance call. The suspect opened fire on Deputy Bryant and his partner as they approached the residence. Despite being mortally wounded, Deputy Bryant was able to return fire and kill the suspect. Deputy Bryant had served with the agency for two years. He was survived by his fiancée, parents, two sisters, and two brothers.

Deputy James Addison Avant

Date of Incident: 07-24-1986

Cause of Death: Aircraft Accident

Age at Death: 37

Detective Avant, Investigator Kevin Brosch of the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department, and Trooper Charles Bassing of the Arkansas State Police were killed in a helicopter accident. The three officers were being trained by DEA agents as spotters for a marijuana eradication program. The aircraft was taking off when it experienced a mechanical failure and crashed into the ground. The helicopter, which had just been refueled, burst into flames. All three officers were burned to death as a result. Detective Avant had been employed with the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office for one year and is survived by his wife and three children.

Deputy James Brooks Jackson

Date of Incident: 12-28-1941

Cause of Death: Gunfire

Age at Death: Not Available

Warden Jackson was shot and killed in the line of duty.

Chief Deputy Barney Stiel

Date of Incident: 09-26-1911

Cause of Death: Gunfire

Age at Death: 33

Chief Deputy Stiel was shot and killed while arresting two brothers on a warrant. The suspects opened fire on Chief Deputy Stiel while he was assisting Sheriff William Preston (Desha County) as they were attempting to serve the warrants.

Despite being mortally wounded, Chief Deputy Stiel was able to return fire and kill one of the suspects.
Chief Deputy Stiel had served with the agency for 11 years.